Architecturally, the district is important because it contains two of Greenville's earliest landmarks: the Earle Town House at 107 James Street, built about 1820; and "Whitehall," at 310 West Earle Street, built in 1813 as the summer residence of Governor Henry Middleton. Also of importance are many excellent examples of early 20th century historical revival styles including Neo-Classical, Dutch Colonial, Georgian Revival, English Cottage, and Tudor. The district is significant in community planning as an early automobile neighborhood. Originally part of the Colonel Elias Earle estate, the district was subdivided in the late 19th century. By the 1920s, construction was booming, with large houses being erected on large lots.
Side driveways, rear garages, and porte cocheres all helped the neighborhood accommodate the automobile. Typical of early automobile suburbs, houses were set back from the road and had large, grassy front yards. The district was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, becoming Greenville's second National Register District. In 1984, the neighborhood became the second locally designated Preservation Overlay District.